Time and time again, when women are asked what turns them off from a guy’s online dating profile, “Bad grammar” comes up as one of the top answers. The funny thing is that women tend to have just as many (if not more) grammatical mistakes in their own profiles. However, according to surveys, guys just don’t seem to care as much. So this post is for the guys.
Grammar Mistake #1: i
This is going to be the easiest new thing that you learn today. Here is the rule:
- If you EVER use the words “I”, “I’m”, “I’ll” or “I’ve”, the “I” should always be capitalized. Easy as that.
Grammar Mistake #2: You’re vs Your
Now, this mistake can (of course) happen by accident on occasion. I’ve even caught myself using the wrong word, which nearly caused a mini panic attack. That being said, if you are completely unsure of when to use which, here is a quick and easy guide:
- you’re = you are (You’re very funny, hehe.)
- your = possessive (Is that your dog in the photo? He’s cute.)
Grammar Mistake #3. lol / how r u / wat r u up 2 / yolo
Chances are high that if you use any of the above “expressions”, your conversation will quickly go downhill afterwards. Here are a few examples of how not to use these, along with some replacement sentences that you can use instead!
- Do u always go bed this early lol // Do you always go to bed this early? Haha.
- hi how r u // Hey you. How are you doing on this fine Tuesday evening?
- wat r u up 2? wanna go out tonite? yolo lol // Do you happen to have any plans tonight? Maybe we can hit up that bar you were talking about. You only live once, right? 😉
I guess now is the best time to add that: *If you are asking a question, end it with a question mark.* Isn’t that a grand idea?
Grammar Mistake #4: They’re vs Their vs There
- they’re = they are (Have you seen those movies? They’re SO good!)
- their = possessive (That’s not their table!)
- There = location (I’ll meet you there.)
Grammar Mistake #5: …
Oh for the love of Cupid, please use three dots when you are using ellipses. Don’t let this be your profile:
I’m a driven, easygoing guy………… love hiking and sk8ting.. and snowboarding 2
What a mess! Now take a look at this way of saying the same thing:
I’m a driven, social, and easygoing guy … sometimes too easygoing. I love hiking, skating, and going snowboarding.
Now these are just five of the many many HUGE errors that repeatedly show up in online dating profiles. I’ll most likely do another post in the future with another five, but if you even just start here, you will already be way ahead of the other guys!
And I have one last suggestion. Before hitting that submit/update/send button, reread what you wrote. Check for typos. You can even read your words out loud. Take it slow.
And then hit send.