If you are one of the many people who chooses to take all of your dates to the same bar, night after night, it’s time to switch things up! I’ve heard this story millions of times. Person A is tired of putting effort into dating, and as a result, always asks Person B to meet up at their local bar. It’s safe. It’s easy. You know where to sit/what to order. But the problem is that, by doing this, you’re kind of admitting defeat right off the bat. Luckily, I have some great first date ideas to get you started.
Your next date is going to be completely different from your last date, who was way different from the date before that. So why should every date get the same treatment? Also, why would you choose to repeat the same dysfunctional experience over and over again?
The better solution to this is to customize your first date idea to the person you are chatting with. For today, I’ve come up with 34 different date ideas for you to play around with. However, the ideas below can also just be used for inspiration. First of all, try really listening to your potential date/reading through their entire profile. Then, decide on an idea that they would most likely be crazy excited about!
Here are 34 first date ideas to get you started:
- Go to an arcade (that inner competitive spirit can definitely spark a connection).
- Attend a poetry slam.
- Try your hand at geocaching.
- Challenge each other to a game of pool.
- Go out for tapas (not as serious as dinner, but a little more intimate than drinks).
- Check out a local open mic event.
- Find a nearby board game cafe. Maybe it could be fun to play games with strangers too.
- Attend a Meetup event.
- Go to a live sporting event.
- Treat each other to ice cream.
- Try out a highly-rated food truck.
- Have a language exchange between the two of you.
- Suggest a 15 minute date (If they are a bit timid about meeting, suggest meeting up for 15 minutes. Grab a to-go coffee, say hi, and part ways. Don’t allow yourselves any longer than that.).
- Attend a cooking class.
- Play chess in the park.
- Take your dogs to the dog park.
- Go running together (works best if you’re both runners).
- Play around at the batting cages.
- Go wine tasting.
- Make a picnic/enjoy a movie in the park.
- Stroll through a local farmers market.
- Try the 36 questions experiment.
- Laugh your asses off at an improv show.
- Take a tour of a local brewery.
- Paint your own ceramics.
- Choose a bar with active games (like darts and skee-ball).
- Team up and win a pub quiz.
- Sing your heart out at a piano bar.
- Visit a tourist attraction that you’ve never been to.
- Attend a TED or a TEDx event.
- Have a Skype call.
- Finally, go out for some live music. This works wonders for awkward silence prevention. P.S. – If the date doesn’t turn out to be that great, I have some ideas for that scenario as well!
So there you have it!
34 super fun first date ideas to inspire some outside-of-the-box thinking. In conclusion, just remember to have fun with it and keep things personal. Also, don’t keep repeating the same dates that aren’t working for you. Most of all, make sure to play around and enjoy the ride.
Do you have any cool first date ideas you’d like to add to the list? Or are you planning on trying out one of the above? I’d love to hear about it in the comments below! And if you are in need of some customized first date advice regarding your situation, you can always check out my dating strategy sessions.
Until next time!